The Most Effective Ways to Stay Fit, Healthy and Strong
We all know that there are many things we could be doing to improve our lives. But it’s much easier said than done.
That’s why I’m suggesting a different approach. By putting things into the proper perspective we can look at our overall health as a grouping of smaller habits and routines. Get these smaller habits right and our overall health is sure to follow!
I’ve put together this article to help you find effective ways to get stronger and healthier. While there are no shortcuts, approaching things the right way is the most important step to start defining your healthy future. Let’s get started.
There are a number of different areas in life that can benefit from a well-rounded health routine, and I’ve identified three main areas for consideration:
- Mental fitness
When worked on together, these different areas have the ability to change your life for the better.
It’s well known that exercise greatly enhances one’s quality of life. Not only does the body release a number of powerful chemicals that relieve stress and encourage happiness while exercising, but it builds muscle, bone density and overall strength to boot!
Plus, exercise will help you look and feel your best, boosting your confidence and improving all the areas of your life. Let’s look at a few different exercise routines we can start on right away.
Cardio offers a fantastic workout for the whole body. It increases muscle strength and the functioning of your heart and lungs. Plus, you’re sure to burn a number of calories through the process. This releases toxins and leads to fat loss.
It’s best to do cardio a few days a week for optimal results. Some people like doing it in the morning while others prefer evening workouts that tire them out before bed. Experiment to find what works for you and stick with it.
Fasted cardio is often touted as the best way to burn fat, but that has not yet been scientifically proven. If it works for you, great. If not, don’t stress you can achieve great results by doing normal cardio.
Weight training is a great way to build muscle strength and increase endurance. The process works by building the muscles and bones through resistance routines. By repeating these routines over and over, the muscles tear and rebuild, a natural process that leaves them healthier and stronger over time.
Weight training is often done a couple times a week (2 x a week workout). You can choose to do body-weight exercises, weight-lifting or various other resistance workouts. Consider signing up for a gym to get access to professional equipment for best results.
Or you can contact me and I’ll be more than happy to help you train :-).
Another great way to condition the body, flexibility exercises have exploded in popularity over the past several years due to the balanced health benefits they provide.
For example, yoga and tai chi condition the body through the repetition of certain body positions proven to increase circulation, flexibility, and more.
Regardless of whether you’d like to experiment with options like yoga or tai chi, be sure to incorporate stretching and other gentle movements for safety and overall body function.
Proper diet is another important area to consider for the overall health of your body. You may have heard the phrase you are what you eat. While this is somewhat of a misnomer, the overall message rings true.
The things you put in your body have a major impact on your overall functioning. And while many diets have exploded onto the scene in recent years, there are a few tips that everyone should follow for increased health.
- Cut the processed sugar. It’s a well-known fact that eating excess processed sugar is bad for your body. Consider cutting back on the sweets, and grab an apple or banana when the cravings hit.
- Increase your protein. Your muscles require protein for growth and maintenance, so increasing your intake is an easy way to stay strong. Eat lots of high-protein meals and check out the ever-growing varieties of protein powders on the market.
- Consume fruits and veggies. It’s recommended that you eat at least 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day, but eating even more is a surefire way to stay healthy. Add leafy green vegetables and high-fiber options for optimal nutrition.
- Eat regular meals. Food is fuel, and your body needs fuel to keep running strong. Consider eating at regular intervals to keep your body nourished and ready to handle the stresses of life.
- Drink plenty of water. Drinking enough water is an easy way to treat your body well. It’s common to hear that drinking 8 glasses a day is a great goal to aim for, but consider going above and beyond by drinking up to 3 litres of water a day. It will really help to flush out the toxins.
Putting the right things in your body is a must for your long-term health and overall strength. Nourish your body and watch as the other pieces of your health plan fall into place.
And be careful of the advice that eating less always helps you lose weight. It’s just not that simple, your body is smart and adapts to what is given to it. Sometimes this can be in unexpected ways.
We’ve talked about keeping your body happy and healthy through exercise and proper diet. But those are just small pieces of your overall health and well-being.
Your brain requires its fuel too, and continuing to learn and work your mind is important for its longevity and your overall happiness. That said, a few of the best things you can do to stay mentally sharp include:
- Reading. Consider picking up a new book. Reading is a fun and easy way to work your mind and entertain yourself at the same time.
- Journaling. Modern life is stressful, and journaling can be a great release. Consider putting your thoughts down on paper to help you sort through them or use WordPress (it’s a free blogging software platform).
- Taking a class. Even if you’re done with school, there are a number of online and one-off classes you can take to stay sharp. Consider visiting your local adult school or check out some online courses at places like Coursera.
- Challenging yourself. Challenge yourself to try new things. Our brains like to stay in their comfort zones, but that’s not how we grow. Explore new places and consider new possibilities, and watch as your mind expands.
These are just a few tips to consider, but there are many more out there! Use your imagination to find things that inspire you to learn and grow. It’s hard, but it’s worth it.
Keep At It
We’ve had a look at the three most effective ways to stay fit, healthy, and strong in the years to come. Just remember that it takes time and dedication to see the changes you want.
Consider the reasons behind why you want to treat yourself well, and then stick with it! You deserve to be fit, healthy and strong, and you can start to see positive results in no time. Good luck with your journey, and stay tuned for more!